Sunday, June 23, 2013

Idaho Springs: White Water Rafting


Last weekend was my first experience white water rafting in the mountains, on Class IV rapids.  It was definitely a thrill ride and to top it off, the water temperature was 37 degrees Fahrenheit!


I had no idea that the water stayed at such low temperatures, while rafting in the mountains during the summer months.  The snow caps on the mountains melt slowly all summer and the water only has about 30 minutes to warm up, prior to hitting the base of the mountain where the rapids are located.   No wonder it's still a frigid 37 degrees!


After seeing this photograph above, I was so thankful that the boys (Duane & Ryan) took the front seat and I got to hang out in the back of the raft! And hallelujah for our wet suits, because we were drenched head-to-toe by the end of it.


I've heard that the Royal Gorge in Southern Colorado on the Arkansas river is one of the most amazing rapids to experience. It's class V: Advanced & sure to be a thrill ride.  Definitely next on our list!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl!!! I miss your blog! I'm hoping you take some time to post about your European travels! :)