Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dark Chocolate Crepes topped with homemade blueberry sauce

Crepes.  Just the word sends me back to when I was 19 and studying abroad in Lecce, a small quaint city nestled in the southern part of Puglia, Italy. As I would be roaming the Italian paved streets full of culture, art and glorious cuisine, I would inevitably find a crepe stand every 10 blocks along the way.  It was a summer filled with daily crepes stuffed with various items from mascarpone cheese, nutella, bananas, lemon curd, to orange marmalade, and I adored every moment of it.

Today, being Valentines Day, I wanted to surprise my husband with breakfast in bed and a 'not-so-traditional' homemade cooked breakfast.  I rarely cook crepes, so I figured this would be the perfect time to prepare them.  Given it's Valentines Day and this is one of the few days out of the year I can actually justify having chocolate for breakfast, I figured I would splurge and make him dark chocolate crepes topped with my homemade blueberry sauce, sprinkled with powder sugar.

This breakfast is one to remember.... I found myself wanting to scrape every last ounce of blueberry sauce and chocolate dripping off my plate.  It's BEYOND delicious.  Definitely surprise your special someone tomorrow or this coming weekend with breakfast in bed.  They will be thanking you for days to come for the 'sweet' surprise.

Happy Valentines Day to all my family, friends & readers!  May today be filled with lots of love for you & yours.

xx,
Colleen





Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbs butter, melted
2 tbs dark chocolate spread
powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Remove from pan and add a dollop of dark chocolate spread. Fold in half lengthwise, then in half again width wise, to create a wedge shape. Top with blueberry topping.  Dust with powered sugar, serve warm. 







Homemade Blueberry Sauce
Ingredients:
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)




Directions:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup of water, sugar and lemon juice. Stir frequently, and bring to a low boil.
2. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
3. Slowly stir the corn starch into the blueberries, taking care not to crush the blueberries. Simmer until the homemade blueberry sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, about 5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla and lemon zest.





No comments: